Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New Material

Whitney is back, fall is here (officially at 11:09pm EST today) and I'm about to dive into to some new material!

Over the weekend, I decided that I want to move away from non-traditional monologues for a while. The impetus for this came from a list I found while cleaning out my file box.

In most college theatre programs, you are required to take some sort of theatre history. Both Whitney and I were fortunate to have the marvelous John Tammi as a professor for both Western and American theatre history. He gave us all sorts of resources for both of these classes, but the list I found was one we recieved in American theatre history. It is a list of great American plays (many of which won awards, many of which did not) from the early 1900s to the present. A good many of these plays were marked, "If you haven't read this, do it now!".

Well I did not read them them (I was a senior and college was busy!) but fret not, gentle blog readers. JT's advice did not go amiss. I'm doing it now! I've got a date with the Chicago Public Library tonight and I'll be traveling back to my homestate of Michigan tomorrow. Classic plays make for great commuter train/2 hour car trip reading.

Stay tuned because I also recieved KK's book (remember her?) yesterday and I'm already convinced that it's going to be an excellent resource. I'll be back with more about the book soon!

--Kristi

No comments: