Thursday, October 14, 2010

Ode to KK

Hello readers!

Boy, Kristi is the champ of bloggity blogs, is she not? Video blogging. Who knew?

Kristi pretty much summed it up: KK (Karen Kohlhaas) is blowing our little minds. I am seriously sticking post-its all over the book. Unlike Kristi, I got it from the library, and folks there don't take to kindly to highlighting and underlining in their books. I've decided I will be buying this after all.

I keep reading and realizing that I've been leaving out key parts of the audition process, namely the part that I love the most when I direct or act in a production: blocking. I'm taking notes on a few other things, but this is the kicker. She suggests you work within a 6' box-not the entire stage. In the past I've had no problem staying in the box, well, because I don't move. At all. Note taken, KK. I will reform!

Onward-my dear friend Taylor works for a local publication here. She described an essay she published about the trials, discomfort, and embarrassment of couple's yoga (I had never heard of such a thing...). Apparently, the article is hilarious, and I can't wait to splice it into something I can use. Talk about a lovely monologue to break out that better blocking!

I'm trying hard to listen to everything, read everything as though it could work on stage. I'm hoping that even though my next audition probably won't be until January, I'll be continuing to push myself not to slack through active listening/reading. Can't hurt right?

Have a great week!

-Whit

No comments: