Monday, August 9, 2010

My Journey Begins Tonight

I've been kicking around the idea for a monologue for some time, but it's a little HOT in my apartment, which makes concentrating kind of difficult. However, my building in Chicago has a lovely courtyard and portico out front, which I'll be taking full advantage of tonight. Cross your fingers for a nice breeze....

The monologue is coming from a song called "Calm" by Adam Gwon. For those of you not familiar with his work, check out this YouTube video of my friend Kate. Kate and I met in the spring of 2006 when I was living in New York City and she's hilariously funny.

The song is a great one and a perfect story with a beginning, middle and end. The problem is, it's not that suitable for auditions. Generally in a musical audition, you sing 16 or 32 bars of something. There's not a good cut of that length from this song. But, I love it......

So what do I do?

"Turn it into a monologue!" shouted the chorus of blog readers. You catch on fast.

It's definitely going to take some editing. After all, it is a song and songs are rhyme-y. That sounds a little silly in most non-musical audition situations. It's also a touch long, so I may have to cut a little bit. Overall, I think it going to be a great character piece when it's finished.

My other goal for the week is to explore more of Karen Kohlhaas's (whom I'll probably refer to as KK from this point on) website. I eventually want to order her books, but payday is not until Friday. :)

Away we go!

-Kristi

No comments: