Friday, August 13, 2010

So little time...

I'm afraid to say that here I am again, preparing for an audition that was 3 weeks away, but magically has drawn nearer! And I can feel that pattern: wait, search, panic, second guess, wait, and freak starting to set in--but I'm determined NOT to let that happen this time.

This upcoming audition requires one classical and one contemporary monologue, and the hunt begins tomorrow. I have a few classic pieces prepared (one Shakespeare, one not) but neither seems appropriate (either too long or comedic-I need a dramatic). And as far as contemporary goes-well, I just have to say that I'm really tired of women's monologues (the ones in monologue books especially) being centered around the superficial or the overly dramatic (and depressing for that matter). I mean really, where is the solid storytelling? Those that really grip your heart and emphasize the character's goals instead of fabricated emotions. But that's our mission, right?

But for this I'll be looking towards a fantastic poetry book called Staying Alive

And I may also be delving in the realm of male roles. Just because I'm curious about what pieces women pass up solely because its not a "women's monologue."

More later-

Whit


No comments: